Who says you need a complex story and innovative controls for a game to be great. The first five minutes of the game is all it takes to get you enraptured into the game and really that's all it needs for the plotline, the character progresses at a good speed for how short the game is. The boss battles require more thought than just a simple point and shoot which adds a element of complexity in the mix, and the sharp controls complement the gameplay well.
About the only things I would gripe about is the ending was semi-lacking, but being the plotline was very simple and straightforward I can't say I expected much to begin with.
As far as the music went I loved it, but felt there was too little, 90% of the game was the overworld music, 5% was the underwater caves music, 3% for house music, and 2% for everything else. All of it was good, but it really feels like the game could have been more enveloping if the music was more diverse throughout the game.
In any case, I hope to see more great games from you guys in the future!
For the most part this was a solid game. Layout and game design was well thought out and is very reminiscent of classic Zelda games and enjoyed it very much.
As for the bad things, I bumped into a minor bug or two one along the way.
1- I got stuck on top of a treasure chest and was unable to jump off.
2-During my first attempt through the castle, it did not give me the bad ending after exiting and I had to manually reset the castle to start over.
3- After completing my third trip and successfully saving the princess (good ending conditions) I received the bad ending, proving there IS a good ending to begin with.
I might try through a fourth time to see if I can get the good ending as intended, but I'll wait a bit to see if any patches are posted over the next few days.
Still good job and keep up the good work!
Good, Despite it's Flaws
Good overall game. I'm glad you fixed that major bug that locked up the game after a year. However I uncovered a few more problems.
-Occasionally, the game would glitch mid-battle requiring you to refresh the page to reset it.
-Items sell for retail price instead of half price as intended.
-Monsters that your friends own do not gain any stat increases in the game, save for hp increases as you win cups.
-The OCT12 update algorithm used to measure time is off, advancing one month and year per increment (both resetting to 00 after 11) instead of by week, preventing people from participating in certain tournaments.
-Friends no longer challenge you to battle.
Great game, but kind of flawed.
I played this for the better part of the day, and overall I thought it was great. However I ran into quite a few problems and issues.
1. Some resources were under/over utilized, for instance I had huge stockpiles of cheese that never was used, yet there was never enough stone till you got all the upgrades then had no use for it.
2. The most expensive items in the game Mushrooms/Gems had no generation source forcing you to buy them, or hope you get lucky on quests.
3. Often the rewards from Quests were not worth the time and money invested in them. I could spend 12000 silver and my troops would only come back with about 4 or 5 gold and 500-600 silver, and you lost more if a soldier died.
4. There is a serious lack of ranged soldiers, and those who are there seem to go un-utilized according to the battle reports report.
5. Even with maximum storage (mules, backpacks, wagons, etc), it seemed like there was never enough space for even the most basic essentials for the quests, then the few items you were forced to leave behind apparently were always the items needed to avoid some disaster.
6. Is it possible to even beat the final quest? I could easily beat the hardest quests with roughtly 50-200 various soldiers, but but after failing the first attempt with my standard setup, I sent well over 1k soldiers with 100 Gnomes, Wizards, Clerics, and Knights each and still utterly failed.
7. And before I forget, just as a suggestion having a way to build, trade, buy soldiers in multiple quantites at once would be a godsend. It took forever to gather trade for the materials I needed to buy all those Gnomes, Wizards, and Clerics.
But despite these, I really enjoyed it. I hope your future games (if you do any more) will be just as enjoyable.
Game is simple and thought out enough, but the controls seemed pretty loose and wonky. I ended up running off the cliff in the first level several times even after taking my fingers off the directional keys.
It has a very classic Doom feel and look to it. The graphics were a more polished than Doom, however it retains few animation frames making it feel like you could have done alot more with it. Overall a good try.
Really cute little game. While it's extremely simple, it can get very difficult in a short amount of time. I love the artwork though, it really reminds me of a childrens storybook. Keep up the good work and I hope to see more soon.
Not too bad for a first attempt.
I give you credit for a decent first try. It does not appear to be glitched or anything, which is a good start. I thought the facial expressions were a nice touch.
The biggest problems I usually see with dressup games is the crowding from numerous outfits. In your future attempts, I would suggest maybe creating a side-menu that opens a mini closet for different outfits. Perhaps another menu that allows you to select eye color, skin tone, facial and eye expersions, ect. By doing this you give yourself more screen to work with and it allows you to enlarge your character and create a more detailed image.
Very kick ass!
This is an awsome display of gaming making it very simple yet fun. The first stages are very humerous I almost rolled over crying from laughter from the little zombies goin "BRAINS!" reminds me alot about Night of the Living Dead from back in the 80's even though the stages i find are a little easy its not till you get to the last 5-7 assults that it gets difficult where you have not only hordes coming at you but you come across zombies that take more than 4 headshots. Keep up the good work. ^_^
A very impressive game.
This is a very impressive game. It has medicore violence like any Mega Man game making it sutiable for all ages. Even though the sprites and music were from other games they were used in different and new ways. I was impressed by the movements of the enemies they act just like in they do in MM games and the bosses dont stick with a rough identifiable patteren like with most flash games. The animation was very smooth and I even noticed that you had taken even time to make Firemans blinking animation (And blinking was not in the original Fireman sprites from MM1). I particiularly enjoyed the cutscenes they were also very detailed and smooth.
Overall this game is a 10. It has an original concept and yet stays true to MM games in playability. Keep up the good work and I look forward to future Fireman games and if any flash movies of your comic.
newgrounds.com — Your #1 online entertainment & artist community! All your base are belong to us.